Monday, September 22, 2008



After a couple year break from self inflicted torture I felt it was time to go back to my roots and attempt "Hiller Than Thou" for 2008. This ride is a 100 mile race through the hills of central Jersey. In addition to the distance it's enhanced with upwards 10,000" of climbing - some incredibly steep. To do this ride you must be crazy, super fit and/or both.

I must admit that my confidence level was not the highest due to my lack of training. I currently have too many interests that prevent me from riding my bike much anymore. For me to finish the ride would take all the cycling knowledge and tricks that I have, some luck and lots of pain. I packed a map just in case I had to bail.

Started approx 8:30 with an easy 4 mile group ride (approx 100 riders) to the 1st major climb, Mt Lebanon. Passed on the temptation to push and dropped down to my fresh 39-27 and spun my way up that puppy. So far so good! Next up was Snyder rd, long and moderately steep. Same deal- spin, conserve energy. Next up - Quenby mountain. This it the 1st hill that has the caliber of steepness that will be testing me in the miles to come. There's some serious pitch to Quenby but fortunately that part is not to to long. Once up Quenby it's over to the never ending Jenny Jump climb - very long, a couple steep spots but manageable. I can see why Jenny jumped.

Once Jenny was knocked off it's over to the 1st real test of the ride, the infamous Fiddlers Elbow, home of the steepest paved road in New Jersey. At 50 miles on Foul Rift road along the river you get glimpses of the ridge that you're gonna ride over and believe me it's a disturbing sight and even more troubling once you start the climb. The bottom you start climbing up Roxberg Hill rd which is very steep and utterly terrible but this is only the beginning. After a short rest on Ridge Road a quick right sends you up the climb from hell. Not too bad at 1st but it just keeps going and going and getting progressively steeper till you reach what most call the wall. I generally weave back and forth up this stretch (some call this tacking) to avoid going straight up. Going up this stretch takes everything you got, not only legs but arms, shoulders back muscles etc. Trying to conserve energy on this hill was especially important for me as this was just 53 miles into the ride, 47 more to go. My experience of going up Fiddlers many times proved itself on this one (certainly not my fitness level) as I rode past many walkers on the steep part. The satisfaction of clearing this hill is short lived as the descents aren't long enough and its back to climbing once more. Next up is Buttermilk Bridge rd. I've been up this many times but never remember it being this long and steep (maybe Fiddlers had something to do with this).

Next up is the worst hill on the ride, Iron Bridge rd, ridiculously steep for a long, long time. An important decision must be made, try to ride up the wicked part and risk squantering the unknown remaining energy that I have and jeopardize the rest of the remaining 40 miles or walk up the darn bad part and maybe have enough to finish the race. Walking was the only logical option for me and turned out to be a good one later in the ride.



Cruising on over to Henderson then Dutch Hill/Forge Hill - these 2 normally aren't too bad but with 70 miles of hills in your legs they are agony.



At this time I was had a moment of joy that the worst was over and I had a real shot at finishing this ride. My joy was short lived with the realization that some 15 miles remained, usually not too far but this ride it can take forever and hurt real bad.




The mind games started and I started to think about the hamburgers and beer waiting for me at the finish but Mountain Top hill put me back in survival mode once again, back to steep, long and weaving just to be sure I could save something to get up Point Mountain which on a good day is a chore. I received my 1st ever cell phone call in the mist of the climb from John Friel - extraordinary mega miler who finished about about an hour ahead of me. He actually came back to ride up Point Mountain with me. That was welcome sight in that John is very chatty and took my mind off the incessant climbing. Point Mountain is very long with some steep spots through in for good luck - a fine way to finish the ride!


All in all I couldn't be more pleased with how things turned out in light of my limited riding this season. The key I think was eating and drinking lots and going easy up the big ones.



Can't wait for next year! Oops, almost forgot about Iron Cross............. Check back for report.

No comments: